Civil Mediation Services

Helping individuals to resolve a wide range of disputes quickly, avoiding the expense of costly court fees.

Our civil mediation services

Our mediators are able to help resolve all manners of civil disputes, whether it’s between individuals or an individual and a business. Examples of the types of disputes we are able to resolve through civil mediation include:

  • Disputes between family members
  • Disputes relating to wills and probate
  • Personal injury disputes
  • Professional negligence disputes
  • Consumer disputes relating to the sale of goods and services
  • Property disputes
  • Residential landlord and tenant disputes
  • Boundary disputes
  • Party Wall Act disputes including disputes relating to rights of way and restrictive covenants
  • Claims against banks, insurers, financial institution
  • Defamation disputes
  • Home ownership disputes
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Disputes relating to harassment

 

Civil mediation sectors 

With many years of experience in civil dispute resolution, our mediators can help to settle disputes in the following areas: 

  • Agriculture
  • Education
  • Consumer law
  • Financial services
  • Private client
  • Professional negligence claims
  • Professional services
  • Recruitment
  • Landlord and tenant disputes
  • Residential and commercial property
  • Wills and probate

The mediation process

Regardless of the complexity of a dispute the stages involved in mediation follow a tried and tested process.  With a process in place, our mediators will guide the parties to reach a resolution to their dispute.

The stages of the mediation process include the following:-

  • Choosing a mediator that all parties agree and setting a date and venue for the mediation
  • Preparing for mediation by exchanging information, compiling an agreed bundle of documents and each party preparing their position statements.
  • Speaking to the mediator in the days before the mediation so everyone knows what to expect at the mediation.
  • Attending the mediation with your legal advisor and the opening session with all the parties.
  • Breaking off into separate sessions
  • Fact finding and exploration by the mediator
  • Helping the parties to negotiate a settlement
  • Recording and documenting a settlement

Will mediation be successful?

We can never guarantee that mediation will resolve your civil dispute, but the majority of cases do reach settlement.

The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) is a leading mediation and alternative dispute resolution body that provides professional services including the training and accreditation of mediators.

In CEDR’s 2016 survey of its accredited mediators it found that 67% of cases settle on the day of mediation with a further 19% of cases settling shortly after mediation. That’s an overall settlement rate of around 86% of cases settle either at or shortly after mediation.

What are the advantages of civil mediation?

  • Mediation is a flexible process where the parties are in control
  • Mediation can be arranged quickly and often completed within two weeks
  • Mediation is a more cost effective approach as it is significantly cheaper than court proceedings
  • The mediation process is confidential and without prejudice
  • If an agreement is reached at mediation the agreement will be recorded as a binding and enforceable agreement
  • Resolution of a dispute made by mediation may allow individuals to maintain an amicable relationship

Contact our mediators

To speak with one of our mediators for advice about a civil dispute, please get in touch. We’re always happy discuss your situation and help set the ball rolling on the mediation process.

Call 0800 63 41 777 or email enquiries@fairleadmediation.co.uk.

Feedback

Fairlead set a positive tone and conveyed energy, authority and enthusiasm. Our mediator combined warmth, energy and incisiveness to great effect.

Get mediation news and updates

For the latest industry news and thought leadership articles relating to commercial mediation, sign up to receive our newsletter by completing the form below.